Sunday, December 26, 2010

a good idea

Every Christmas I'm surprised at how much I spend not on gifts, but gift bags. Christmas Eve I dropped $25 on wrapping alone, and that was only for one side of the family. Not to mention finding the right size bag for the gift is impossible. I inevitably have several gifts that are too big for medium size bags but too small for the large. And with the whole "go green" movement, I cringe at thinking of spending so much on paper bags that are going to be thrown away and fill up a landfill somewhere.

So, my husband came up with a clever idea. Well, he might not have intentionally come up with the idea; I think he was teasing me about my yarn-addiction. However, he suggested that I knit/crochet bags - they would be reusable and could count as part of the gift.

I'm going to take some of my stash yarn and try to think out some easy bag-like patterns. Even a year away, I'm not sure if I have the discipline to make all of my gift bags for next year. Still, I might make a gift bag or two for a birthday and see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. You could get a knitting loom. You could double or even triple strand yarn together from your stash and you'd get rid of stash yarn. I made my father a scarf by double stranding two pieces of worsted together and it went very quickly plus it's really easy to use. You could get a rectangle one and seam down the sides and maybe put in a drawstring to close it. I've never used a circular one, but you could just use one of those with the same idea but without seaming. Good luck getting rid of your stash and making gift bags. Yarn gift bags do sound really awesome! :D And Eco friendly!

    ReplyDelete